How Do I Know if It’s the Flu or a Cold ?
According to the Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians Influenza report from March 2, 2017, the incidence of influenza virus has peaked and is starting to decline. However, influenza-like illnesses are increasing. So how do you know? Below is a chart outlining common signs and symptoms of the Flu vs. Upper Respiratory Infection.
Is it the Flu or a Cold?
|Fast: Within hours||Onset of Symptoms||Slowly over a few days|
|Yes||Body Aches||Mild Head & Body Aches|
|Dry Cough||Cough||Yes but a wet cough|
Many times you are not sure which one you have. If you have had the symptoms for 3 days or less and think it is the flu call RemedyNow. We can come to your home or office and do a rapid Influenza test to not only confirm the diagnosis but also prescribe a medication that will shorten duration of the symptoms.
What to do when you are sick:
- Rest: It does not help you to get better if you try to power through your illness. In addition, you don’t want to be spreading your germs to friends and co-workers!
- Drink plenty of fluids: Especially warm fluids such as teas, soups, and water. Avoid caffeine and alcohol as it can contribute to dehydration.
- Honey & Lemon: (not for children <1 year old) 1-2 teaspoons of honey mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice is soothing for the cough and sore throat. Add honey to your tea.
- Wash your hands! Using soap and water for 20 seconds making sure to clean both sides of your hands, fingers and fingernails. OR use a Hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
What NOT to do when you are sick with a cold or flu:
- Smoke: Smoking only increases the cough and irritation of your respiratory system.
- Take an antibiotic: Antibiotics do not treat viruses
- Skimp on sleep: Your body needs to rest to fight the virus and keep your immune system strong
- Don’t skip meals: You may not feel like eating. Try eating soups like chicken noodle soup, or broth, or other clear soups or PB & J. You can drink milk, it will not increase the amount of phlegm.
RemedyNow is here to help you and your family get well and stay healthy
Limited time offer!
Get a FREE Urgent Care video visit to speak to a RemedyNow provider about your symptoms. There will be no charge unless you decide to make a followup house call urgent care appointment. Just mention the code BLOG when making your appointment. Call 262-312-9095 to learn more. Valid through 4/30/17. One offer per household.